Nazanin has lost her latest appeal ‘with no court hearing’ (Image: Getty)
Sign up to receive our rundown of the day’s top stories direct to your inbox
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
In a tweet this morning, Tulip Siddiq MP said that she had spoken to Ms Zaghari-Ratcliffe’s husband, Richard. He told the Hampstead and Kilburn MP that the jailed mother had “lost her latest appeal and her sentence of one year plus one year travel ban is upheld with no court hearing.”
Ms Zaghari-Ratcliffe “could now be returned to prison at any time.”
The Free Nazanin campaign tweeted that “Nazanin’s lawyer was called today by the Judiciary and informed that the appeal on her second case failed.”
It added that there was “no summons date yet for prison.”
It noted that “Nazanin has asked to speak with the PM” and that he had invited the Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi to next month’s COP26 climate summit in Glasgow.
“It is time for him to sit down with the Iranians and end this finally,” the campaign said.
READ MORE: Liz Truss demands immediate release of UK nationals from Iran
Richard Ratcliffe said his wife was ‘being used in political games’ (Image: Getty)
The Iranian-British dual citizen who has been detained in Iran since April 2016.
In early September 2016, the Thompson Reuters Foundation employee was sentenced to five years in prison after being found guilty of allegedly “plotting to topple the Iranian government”.
She was temporarily released from prison in March last year, during the coronavirus pandemic, while being monitored.
The prosecutor general of Tehran stated in October 2017 that Zaghari-Ratcliffe was being held for running “a BBC Persian online journalism course which was aimed at recruiting and training people to spread propaganda against Iran”.
Tulip Siddiq (third right) handing in a petition with campaigners (Image: PA)
On March 7 this year, her original sentence ended, but in April she was found guilty of propaganda activities against the government and sentenced to one year in prison.
Ms Siddiq added: “the PM must act now” to free her. Downing Street directed the Express to the Foreign Office for comment.
Mr Ratcliffe has long campaigned for his wife’s release.
In September, he and their seven-year-old daughter Isabella marked 2,000 days since her detainment by Iranian authorities outside the Houses of Parliament.
Richard and his daughter Isabella marking in September 2,000 days since Nazanin was first detained (Image: PA)
There he accused the Iranian government of “hostage taking”, and said the UK Government “needs to be brave and just start doing things that will cause a rethink amongst those in charge of Iran’s hostage-taking.
“The reason this family is missing someone, who should be with them every day, is that Nazanin is being used in political games.
“We’d love to get back to being a normal family, and I still have every faith that some day we will.”
In 2019, Mr Ratcliffe did a hunger strike outside the Iranian Embassy in London.
The Free Nazanin campaign has retweeted reactions to the news which call on Foreign Secretary Liz Truss to take action.
Nick Hudgell described it as “heartbreaking” and said Ms Truss “must do what your predecessors have failed to do”.
Richard Hassall said Ms Truss “needs to act on this immediately”.
The Foreign Office was contacted for comment.
More to follow…