The journalist and newsreader, 66, returned to his broadcasting role in April this year after he announced he would be taking a break in October 2021.

Mr Alagiah was diagnosed with stage four bowel cancer in 2014 and since his first diagnosis, he has undergone around 100 rounds of chemotherapy.

The broadcaster has opened up about returning to the BBC as he continues to fight cancer in an interview with the Sunday Telegraph.

I’ll be back in the @BBCNews studio today after months of treatment. Pure coincidence – it’s 8 years to the day since I was told I had stage 4 #bowelcancer So good to be with the News at Six team again.

— George Alagiah (@BBCAlagiah) April 14, 2022

BBC’s George Alagiah opens up about News At Six return while fighting cancer

Speaking about returning to the BBC, he said: “Going into the newsroom doesn’t kill any cancer cells, that’s for sure.

“By the time I walk out of that newsroom at seven o’clock in the evening, having been there since the morning, I am absolutely knackered physically, but mentally I am rejuvenated.

“I’ve been with people who treat me as they always did, who don’t patronise me, and it is a tremendous fillip.”

The Sri Lanka-born journalist also opened up about his fear of leaving his wife of 38 years, Frances Robathan, behind.

He said: “One of the things I want to do is hold hands with my wife until the end, and am I going to be able to do that? It haunts me. Not every day.

“I’m not too scared for myself, but I’m here on the third floor of our house, and I am looking out of the window at Frances setting out the tablecloth on our garden table, and it occurs to me, is she going to have to do that for herself one day, and eat on her own?”.

READ MORE: Bowel Babe Deborah James, 40, shares heartbreaking final message

READ MORE: Bowel cancer: The signs and symptoms to be aware of

Following his first diagnosis, the former BBC foreign correspondent underwent 17 rounds of chemotherapy to treat his advanced bowel cancer in 2014.

When he returned to his presenting duties in 2015, he described himself as a “richer person” after making progress with the disease.

His cancer came back in December 2017 and the presenter underwent further treatment before once again returning to work.

Last year Alagiah tested positive for Covid-19 after he made the decision to stop appearing in the studio following advice from doctors and colleagues.