Skip to content
Home » Understanding The Different University Degrees

Understanding The Different University Degrees

When you go to university, it’s essential to be aware of the type of degree or certificate you’re registering for.

The course you select will determine the degree you earn at graduation. Some courses come with various awards, based on how long you’d like to spend studying and the amount of credits you accumulate.

However, how do you differentiate the LLBs from HNDs? What do the terms “levels” and “credits” mean? Which degree is best for you? What are the various types that are offered by universities?

Study at the undergraduate level

Bachelor’s degree – Level 6

An Honours or Bachelor’s degrees is by far the most commonly used kind that undergraduate students earn. It’s the term most employers use when they’re searching for an undergraduate degree or a first degree’ in the job advertisement.

It’s obvious that you’re looking at an undergraduate degree when you see names like Bachelor of Arts – BA (Hons), Bachelor of Science – BSc (Hons), Bachelor of Engineering – BEng (Hons) and Bachelor of Laws – LLB (Hons).

The (Hons) part refers to Honours. This usually means that you are studying for 3 years or 4 years in the case of a course with a sandwich-placement option. The course covers 360 credits, which includes the dissertation or major project during your final year.

Admission requirements vary based on the program, however generally, you need to have appropriate A levels or equivalent qualifications, or substantial previous experience in the field you’re interested in studying.

Graduate Certificate (GradCert) – Level 6

A GradCert is at the same level as a Bachelor’s degree but it’s more restricted in its scope, and therefore will take less time to finish.

They’re typically offered in fields that are relevant to the workplace like management, psychology, counselling or law. A GradCert will help you build abilities and skills in one subject to help you prepare for your job.

A GradCert usually takes about one an entire year, and is part-time.

Integrated Master’s Degree – Level 7

If you’re looking to become an expert in your field, and are aware that you would like to pursue a Master’s degree An Integrated Master’s degree will help to achieve your goal.

It takes four months to earn, and five with an option for a placement year which it combines an undergraduate degree and the postgraduate years. You are awarded an MSc degree which includes MSc MEng, MOpthom, or MMath.

Top-up degree – Level 6

If you are a holder of the level 5 qualifications such as an HND or a foundation degree, or completion of two years of university study, you can enroll in a top-up degree course to further develop the knowledge gained and earn the full honours diploma (level six).

Higher-level degrees are less specialized They’re usually completed in only one year, but they could be anywhere between 1 and 2 years , depending the start point you’re at as well as whether or not you’re studying full time or part-time.

Certain of our top-up degrees (those that deal with business communication) are designed specifically for students whose primary second language isn’t English.

If you are a person with less of a qualification but have a lot of experience working in the relevant field, it is possible to consider applying as a possibility to earn a higher degree.

Did You Know? It’s possible to order a fake degree certificate on the internet.

Foundation degree – Level 5

If you’re currently employed and would like to improve your abilities to be able to assume more demanding jobs, a Foundation diploma or FdA is a fantastic opportunity to earn money while learning. Foundation degrees were developed to connect the university and college and help bring more students from the vocational field to higher education.

FDAs are at Level 5, therefore they’re just below a Bachelor’s level However, once you’ve completed the Foundation degree you’ll be able to “top-up” to an Honours degree by completing additional studies when you’re at the right stage.

The requirements for entry vary based on the topic. It is possible that you will need qualifications like A levels or experience in the industry. Admissions are usually evaluated in an individual manner to determine if you’ve got the knowledge and abilities that you require to complete the course.

Higher National Certificate (HNC) and Higher National Diploma (HND) at levels 4 and 5.

Learning to study an HNC or HND could teach you the theories and abilities you require to be successful at your current or next career. The higher National Certificate or Diploma is the ideal choice if you wish to jump straight into your dream job or to jump-start your studies by registering for a degree program in the middle of.

HNCs typically take one year to complete they are the initial year of studying for Honours degrees. HNDs are completed in two years to complete, and can be considered to equal the initial two Years of study for an Honours Degree.

Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) and Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE) at levels 4 and 5

The CertHE, (also known as a DipHE is a distinct certificate that’s typically awarded when you’re not able to take on the full-time degree. It’s an CertHE for one year of full-time studies, worth 120 credits. Then you can get the DipHE after 2 years of full-time studies, worth around 240 credits.

The CertHE and DipHE could be helpful in getting a job, contingent on the job, since they’re comparable to other qualifications. For instance the DipHE in Management and Management is equivalent to the NVQ 4-Diploma in Administration and Administration.

You could make use of the CertHE or DipHE as a way to get towards a degree and you may be able to skip one or two year of an undergraduate degree. However, you must ensure that you’re meeting the requirements for entry into the program you’re interested in. You should also check if your prior education is transferable.

Certificate of Education (CertEd) – Level 4

If you’re looking to make an education career of further learning or in training you require an ACEd. It can lead to teaching jobs in schools, sixth-forms as well as private training companies as well as public service and organizations that are voluntary. You can also upgrade your diploma to the level of a BA (Hons) in Education and Training degree with further research.

You must have a Level 3 qualification in your field, like A-Levels, to be able to go on an CertEd course. It typically takes one year of full-time studies or two years of study part-time with one of our colleges.

Postgraduate study

A majority of the time should you be looking to expand your undergraduate education up to postgraduate you’ll find details on Master’s degrees taught by teachers and Ph.D.s. There are many alternatives for postgraduate studies that will fit your schedule and goals.

There are a variety of postgraduate degrees that are taught or awards, qualifications and degrees. The research degrees section of our website explains the various types of research degrees that you can get from us.

Master’s degree – Level 7

Master’s degrees are the most sought-after postgraduate degree. Master’s degrees are accompanied by names like Master of Arts MA, Master of Science MA Master of Science MSc Master of Engineering MEng Master of Research – MRes, and Master of Laws LLM. LLM.

If you’ve earned a Bachelor’s degree but you want to pursue your studies further then a Master’s level degree is the next step. You can pursue a Master’s degree in order to increase your knowledge and make you more employable and an authority in your field. It could even lead to further study like an PhD.

Typically, Master’s degrees last between 1 and two years to finish. The student must complete an extensive research or large-scale project that totals 180 credits. In order to be eligible for a Master’s degree typically, you need to have an undergraduate diploma in a related field.

Master of Business Administration (MBA) 7th level

An MBA is an internationally-recognised degree that develops skills for careers in business and management. It also allows you to help you get an executive career in other fields including government, the private sector the government as well as private industry.

Achieving an MBA will allow professionals to in assuming new and challenging roles and increase their expectations for salary or equip them with the knowledge and abilities needed to begin your own business.

In order to enroll in an MBA program, you generally require at least an undergraduate diploma in an appropriate field. In general, an MBA program takes about a full year, but two years if you decide to take a part-time course.

Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) Level 7

A PGCE provides a higher level of academic education to make you ready for a profession in the field of teaching. It typically takes one year to complete the full-time program, or 2 years of part-time.

It blends theory and learning and work experience which means you’ll spend a significant part of your time at any of the schools we partner with applying your skills as a teacher to use.

To enroll in an PGCE course, you must have an undergraduate qualification in a relevant discipline as well as entry requirements that vary according to the subject that you intend to teach.

Postgraduate top-up degree – Level 7

If you hold an PG certificate or an equivalent level seven certification (see the section below) you may be eligible for an additional postgraduate degree to further your studies and earn a Master’s.

Higher-level degrees are less specialized They’re usually completed in a year, but they can last anywhere between 6 months and two years, depending on the point you started from and whether you’re studying full-time or part-time.

If you are a candidate with less of a qualification but have extensive experiences in a related field, we might be able to consider this when applying to get a higher degree.

Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip) as well as Postgraduate Certificate (PgCert) 7th level

A little less than a Master’s degree however, on the same scale the PgDip and PgCert is a great option if you are looking to advance your undergraduate education to the next level, but aren’t ready to be obligated to something as intense as a Master’s.

A large number of postgraduate degrees and certificates are specific to a particular field, so if have a specific career objective you’re considering and require an education that will provide you with an edge you’re in the right place, these certificates are for you. Since these programs are less lengthy than Master’s degreesthey are easier to integrate into your current work.

A PgDip can be worth 120 credits. While the less intensive version, a PgCert, has a value of 60 credits. While they are able to be taken on their own but a PgCert may be a precursor to a PgDip which could result in a Master’s program. You can then learn at the degree you prefer and then pursue your studies until the next level.

There are awards for different degrees on our pages for postgraduate courses, which indicate that you are able to study the course at different levels, like Educational Leadership and Management MSc/PgDip/PgCert.

It is usually necessary to have an undergraduate degree in order to be enrolled in a PgDip course or a comparable certification. If you don’t hold an undergraduate degree but you have work experience, you may have the required abilities and skills required to study postgraduate studies. It is important to discuss your potential eligibility with the admissions staff to the particular course which you’re looking to take.